3.17.2013

And mine heart was pained with the iniquities of the people

Now I am not trying to brag or be rude, but don't comment on this saying something like, "You're going to be a great missionary some day." I appreciate what you mean, but honestly, I don't care. I don't care whether or not I am going to be great. I think about Nephi and how he was so amazing and then his cry of "o wretched man that I am! Yea, my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities"seems to apply to my life anymore, so don't tell me any different. Not until I am more righteous than him (which won't happen anytime soon, just so you know).

Nephi says in 2 Nephi 32:7, "...I am left to mourn because of the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men: for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be."

I think about Lehi and how he would feel in the world today. Because I would think that Jerusalem was not as wicked as even some of the cleanest of cities today. And it makes me sad. I know tons of kids raised in the gospel, who were "given [the truth] in greatness" yet they can't get it! People I love. They don't realize the truth!

I am saddened because I know that they have lost sight of what matters most. They have lost sight of our Savior, Jesus Christ. They get caught up in the "now" and lose sight of the "forever." I honestly don't care about myself. I could go to Hell for all I care if it meant that they finally understood what they are giving up. Because if they did realize, they would never turn away from it. If you really understand the gospel of Christ, you never will forget. Even if you get caught up in sin, you will always have that undeniable truth.

"Oh that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yeah, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth." (Alma 29:1-2) 

Right now, I feel this plea with all my heart. I look at the deepness and completeness of Satan's grasp and I can't fix a millionth of it. It can't happen because "behold, I am a man." (Alma 29:3) The world is black and dark with the sins of the people. Satan seems to have total control. And he is so implanted. I have been on this earth for eighteen years. I can hardly keep my head above sin for an hour (even in my dreams, I am a sinner). How can I overcome this mammon? How can I overcome the world? I am just one man.

"In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." 
John 16:33

Christ knew how I would be feeling tonight. So much so that He sees even my hopelessness. "Be of good cheer" is said before even the reason. He comforts us first, then tells us why. I have heard this scripture thousands of times, but each time I thought of it as a more personal promise when I have a trial. But really, it is a statement for the small and the large. I don't have to overcome the darkness of the world in my quest to share Christ's gospel. I just need to live as He did so through me He can shake loose the binding hold of Lucifer. 

I know what Moroni did. A person reading Alma 48:17 might think, "Wow, if everyone was like Moroni, Hell would be shaken." I know how we as a people can shake the foundations of Hell: Let Christ work through us. Alone, we are as capable as a toddler trying to fly to the moon, but with Christ, the moon is nothing compared to His capabilities. We cannot even imagine what He has in store. 

As followers of Christ have said before me and will say afterward, the gospel of Christ is true and you cannot even have hope if you don't turn to Him. I love you, but not as much as Christ does. Imagine how much love you can feel and times it by infinity and that is still nothing compared to the love Christ feels for us. Turn to Him. Please. He will not fail you. 

No comments: