3.18.2013

It doesn't matter

I don't know if I have talked about this on my blog and I tried researching, but I couldn't do it. To many vague titles. I guess I do a lot of those, neh? Anyway, unless you haven't read at least ten percent of my blog, you probably know that I adore Christopher Nolan's work. I feel so connected to him. I knew exactly how Dark Knight Rises would end twenty minutes into the film. Not that it was predictable, but because we have the same thinking patterns. So there is the preface of my post tonight.

Who here has seen Inception? A good number, I am sure. If you have not, I am giving you the spoiler alert right now. Don't say I didn't warn you. Now the number one problem people have with Inception is the last ten seconds of the film. Repeatedly I would hear, "Does the top fall? Is it real or a dream?" And that really bugs me. Because honestly, it doesn't matter. Chris wasn't intending you to know if it was a dream or not. I really don't think that he wanted it one way or another. He wasn't trying to let the end be controversial. He really wasn't saying that it was a dream. He was saying that it doesn't matter.

 Look back in the movie. Watch Cobb every time he spins the top (other than the time in question). What is he doing? How does he act? He sits there with a gun cocked ready to shoot himself in the head if the top doesn't fall. He is completely possessed on the thought of being stuck in a dream. But that last time, maybe to check to see the reality after spending so many dreams in that room, where is he? His kids (whose faces had never been seen up to this point) were where he was looking. He wasn't even facing towards the top! 

The simple fact is this: No matter the result of the spin, he is happy and wants to be happy. He let go of his past and if he is in a dream, who cares? The world doesn't matter to him, because he has let the death of his wife go and he is with his kids. He is with his family and he is finally at peace. He doesn't have a world he wants to escape from. Before, he was stuck away from his family and had no hope for return. If that was a dream, who wouldn't want to wake up? But now he is happy.

The short of the solution is this: Nothing matters compared to being with the ones you love. 

And you thought it was a lame ploy.


Shame on you.

No comments: