12.09.2012

Purging the system

Once upon a time there was a show called Doctor Who. There still is, I just want to refer back to a certain point in the show. So if you don't know, Doctor Who is a British TV show that follows the life of a time traveling alien known as the Doctor. It was really big in the sixties, seventies, and eighties. The thing about the Doctor is if he gets injured and has enough time, he can regenerate. Basically this gives the producers a way to change the main actor and retain the same character. Anyway, a reboot start in 2005.
The tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant, was around for a good three seasons and he was the face of Doctor Who right when I got into it. Really, he was the best thing I could imagine for the show. He just fit. There were characters that he had met (both as the ninth and tenth doctors) that were a part of the plot and I really started to like them a lot. They were really quirky and it was a fun point in the story.

Then something happened.


David decided to leave. I didn't think I would like that. Who is he to leave the perfect show? He was perfect. The whole situation was perfect. But it was over. I didn't know what the show had in store for me, but I couldn't imagine anything better than the tenth doctor.
The eleventh doctor looked weird. He sounded weird. He acted weird. It was weird. Not only that, but the show felt different. His ship, the TARDIS, was different. His weapon of choice, the sonic screwdriver, changed. None of my favorite characters were there. They had all left when David did. 
That's when I realized the show was purging the system. It was starting fresh. It had a good run with the tenth doctor, the best yet, according to some people. But they knew they needed to move on. David was not going to be coming back, so they knew the only thing they could do was make the next situation as great as they could, without anything supporting them that had been established by David's doctor.
And honestly, I did not like it at all. This Matt Smith guy was crazy. But after a while, I started to love it more than before. I found myself not wanting to even remember that there was any other doctor than Matt Smith.

So with that long analogy, just note that I am purging the romantic system. Cleaning the whole rhino and not just the legs. What? Yeah that didn't make much sense. Sorry, I am tired. System is purging. 

No comments: