12.16.2011

T Minus 631 (Approx.) Days and Counting

I wrote my brother a letter today. It is a bit personal, but so is everything I write.

Joseph- 

Today was the last day of school. Today I finished getting all my stuff into your old room. Today marks one hundred days. My tears blurred my eyes as I pulled away from the curb of the MTC without my best friend. This is the most time we've spent apart. I am listening to the Past and Pending and I am missing you. You are such a great example to me. You really don't realize how jealous I am. You probably do. You are one of the main reasons why I so diligently study my scriptures. I remember you would study for what felt like eternity while I just sat on the couch in your room. Because of this and many other things, I would like to give you my real Christmas present right now.  

I know that Jesus Christ is our older brother who loves us more than I love you, which seems so unfathomable. He loves me for the person I am and would love me even if I hated him. His love is unconditional. He loves me even if I fumble with my words or act like an idiot. He atoned for my sins because of His undying love. He suffered more pain than any man can endure because He loves us. 

We are a chosen people, you and I. We were born in a time where the righteous were nearing perfection and the wicked couldn't get worse. It was no coincidence we were born in this time. It was no coincidence we were born into the church. It certainly was no coincidence that we are brothers. The Lord chose us because we were valiant. We stood by Him as probably some of our best friends walked the other way. It was hard. I could never imagine seeing someone I love as much as you leave the Lord because it would be too hard. But we stood strong. We knew that we were in the right. So the Lord blessed us. He blessed us because he knew that if we, the valiant people of His cause, had the gospel in our loves, there would be no power in the 'verse that could stop us from sharing it. We are chosen because we are needed. 

The people in Puerto Rico knew in the premortal life that you would be coming, so they worried very little about not starting out with the gospel. You are a man who stands on the rock of Christ in the flood of sin and you pull people to shore. You are the missionary the Lord talks about in D&C 4. You are my brother and I want you to know that when I say you are my best friend and hero, this is why. Nothing else matters because you have a testimony of the Savior. Any trial that arises in the field won't last long because you are an example of the believers. You are my best friend and you make my testimony grow. I can tell in your letters that home is already a nuisance. I can tell that, more than anything, you want to be out in the 80° December weather preaching His gospel. I love you. Thank you for everything. 

Have a good Christmas, mate. 
-Hyrum

No comments: