12.05.2011

A Real Man

Weird coincidence the other day: I got choked up in class. That would make sense in Seminary or even Biology, but it happened in History. Now, History is not my best subject, but it is one of my favorites. We spoke of someone I have always respected but never really that too much about. A man named Abraham Lincoln. While we discussed his assassination, I felt a strong sense of respect and of solemness that I surprised myself. I really believe that Abe and I were pretty tight in the pre mortal life. Here are some great quotes of his:


Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new at all.

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.

Everybody likes a compliment.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.

I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.

I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.

I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.

I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day.

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

Important principles may, and must, be inflexible.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.

My dream is of a place and a time where America will once again be seen as the last best hope of earth.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.





Abe was a true man. A real man. Don't forget to give this man the respect he has earned in creating a free nation where the gospel could thrive.

1 comment:

jessie said...

"the problem with quotes found on the internet is that it is difficult to determine their validity." - abraham lincoln.
hehe. he was awesome.

also, one time i was subbing in primary with my mom and she asked who the prophet abraham was and one of the kids said "honest abe. the president."