8.02.2011

Oh Brother of Mine

Once, back when he played Tee-ball, he let me run the bases with him.
I have five older brothers. I've lived with them from 3 years to 16 years. The age gap goes from 30 (Nick) to 16 (me). My next oldest brother, Brock, is my best friend in the world. He and I are two and a half years apart. He was three grades older than me. Until he went to scout camp for the first time, we had seen each other every day of my life. He and I have many stories together and I love him so much.
All the brothers: (left to right) Nick, Bob, Cory, Kendall and Brock and I are on the floor.
In 36 days, my brother, Brock, will be leaving for two years. He is going to go spread the gospel in Puerto Rico. I will miss him.
As our time together grows to a close, I think of what we have done together:
  • The hours of watching The Last Airbender and asking, "Did Jet just…die?"

We grew a watermelon.
  • Talking about my "one job" (opening and closing the sunroof whenever we go somewhere).
Us with our oldest niece, Noel.

  • Watching Get Smart (the television show) and busting a gut laughing.

  • Thanking the guy at Subzero whenever he flips smoke at us.
Awkward picture with Kendall's ex.

  • Shooting pool and listening to The Shins.

  • Playing ping pong "like Leave It to Beaver."

Picking up Cory from the airport.
  • Following the "I cook, you clean" method for Top Ramen, popcorn, and any other food.

  • Quoting "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Dropping him off.
  • Discussing the gospel.

  • Going to the DI and then getting lunch specials.
Shopping at the DI.

  • Playing Frogger in the front room (with Evan Kirby's help).

  • Sorting Halloween candy and trying to keep our mom from seeing the gum we got.

  • Being a nickname duo (Black and White, Brock and Roll and Wyatt the Quiet Riot, Broccoli and Stink Cheese (I was the Stink Cheese), etc.).

In Disneyland with the Robinson Family and the Busby Family (Taft is so fat!).
  • Watching Psych and fist bumping.

  • Selling popsicles in the summer and him sending me out to "advertise" (I would walk around the block barking like I was on a board walk while he manned the station). I wasn't allowed to eat "the profits".
I really didn't want to get into my suit again.

  • Being creeped out by basically anything related to Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

  • Being confused by random things our dad texts us.

Chilling at Bob's wedding.
  • The time I crashed into a car and was rushed to the ER, he rode with me to the hospital and brought the teeth that got knocked out in a cup of milk.
He leaves too soon. I love my brother, but I'm afraid among all these great memories, there is way too much fighting. I regret the lack of love I showed over the years. I love him so much and I know he will be great on in the mission field. There is pain and joy in the past, but there is much hope for the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this post. Way more than is possible for me to put into words.
That first picture: adorable.
& I love that you have a brother named Bob. That's just...Ah. So great.