8.19.2012

I got it.

I have always wanted to not be the weirdo. I know I am not always that bad, but I almost always alienate myself from those around me unintentionally. I have always wanted to be part of the group, even for a few hours.
I think tonight was the first time I wasn't random, weird or nerdy. It was pretty great. If you don't already know me, one of the biggest features I have is also one of the things I hate most about myself: I make neurological connections quickly and vastly. Like in one second the phrase "ice cream" might cause this mental flow:

  1. Ice cream to Ice cream cone
  2. Ice cream cone to double ice cream cone
  3. Double ice cream cone to Mr. Bean
  4. Mr. Bean to Rowan Atkinson
  5. Rowan Atkinson to Matt Smith
  6. Matt Smith to Doctor Who
  7. Doctor Who to season premiere of Doctor Who
  8. Season premiere of Doctor Who to August 24
  9. August 24 to school
  10. School to English
  11. English to To Kill a Mockingbird

Then I would say something about To Kill a Mockingbird. That is why everyone thinks I am random. I am not random, I just think quickly and highly efficiently. Tonight though, I managed to stay myself without revealing that someone saying something about frozen dairy reminded me of a 1930's southern Alabama lawyer's six-year-old daughter.
I had a really great time. I went to Taco Amigo and ran into Maren and Spencer and Alyssa and Aubrey. We ate until they kicked us out and then we dropped Aubrey and Alyssa off at home and went to Nicole's house to say hi. I was not weird.
I loved it. I didn't realize I did it until now, but I got exactly what I wanted. Even though people say "be yourself" and "normal is lame," I really enjoyed myself. I didn't ever get those awkward pauses after I tell a joke that others don't get. I wasn't completely normal; I still talked like Sean Connery for a while. I did throw in a Star Wars reference. I did get one slightly awkward pause. But I was exactly the person I want to be. It was great.

1 comment:

Nicole Tucker said...

wyatt, i honestly think you are definitely not the weirdo or awkward at all! i love the way you are and being around you is one of my top favorite things to do. really!