8.05.2012

"What a catch."

I don't think I have told you this, but I have a great friend that I just started to really get to know. We have become friends this summer. Her name is Nicole Tucker. She is great.

Today was a bummer day. Sentenced to paying for my own lunch because my mom found out I had money followed by tool running (getting tools for my dad while he fixes cars (which happens to be a lifelong activity for me)) and then the dreadful, "How does your room look right now?" Cleaning for hours was bad enough, mixed with washing a dirty car, but finally it was the evening and I could hang out with someone. 

Psych. Everyone was busy. Literally everyone I talked to had something they were doing that they couldn't include me in. A date. Family time. Girl's night (and if I get so much as one sarcastic comment regarding my ability to attend such social gatherings, I will kill the commentator). I was stuck at home on one of those nights where home is the last place you want to be. 

Confined to my lazy chair on my front lawn, watching Homestar Runner videos on YouTube (what does this mean?), with the night approaching 10:00 PM, I knew that there was little hope to salvage my evening. How wrong I was.

Nicole, the friend I mentioned earlier, back from her date that started at 5:00 (who does that?), asked me if I wanted to accompany her to Men In Black III. I readily accepted her merciful offer. 

We got to the theater and the people we were with had a hard time discussing logistics. I then realized that our evening may not be spent at the theater. Of course, that caused me to jump in line to get popcorn (I love theater corn, any way I can get it). After placing my order for the smallest corn, the smallest drink, and the smallest Swedish Fish, I was made aware that we were indeed seeing MIBIII. 

Cue Nicole joining me. I had just pulled out my wallet to pay for my refreshments when she says, "Do you want to make this a date so I don't have to pay?"

Some people. I said yes, of course, and paid an extra $3.50 for her ticket. I made her laugh every two seconds, so you can understand why our friendship is so great. The movie was very impractical, but that's beside the point. It was a great night. One of the best I have had in a while.


One more thing. One of the most legen(wait for it)dary things that has ever happened to me happened tonight. No, I am still VL. Yes, I was complimented on my good looks, but that was not momentous. No, I did not kill a man. Stop guessing and let me speak. I found out someone hates me. Because I don't slander, I will not reveal the name in a public area such as this. It was literally one of the moments of my life when I found out. All my guilt and any sentiment I had for being a jerk was wiped clean when I realized this person was just as guilty, if not more so, as me. 

For months (seriously, months) I felt as I would imagine a conspiracy theorist feels: There is a huge lie and everyone believes it besides me. It got to a point where I almost believed the lie. It got to a point where I looked at my own perspective as saw that I had been biased and unruly in my judgement. I never gave in all the way. The world had me convinced that at least a portion of my mind was that of the bad guy.

Then I was informed that what I didn't abandon for the security of falsehood turned out to be the truth. And even though a majority of the world still bought into it, a few people saw the light. But I still was convinced that the other person, the one who hates me(:)) was the better person. That they didn't dislike me for the very valid and fair reasons that I couldn't stand them for. But then from their own words I realized that I was right. I was not crazy. I was the good guy the whole time. Not a bad guy at all.

So when I say that finding out someone hating me is legen(wait for it)dary, realize that it literally was one of the best things that could ever happen to me. I think I will sleep guilt free for the first time since last October. 

1 comment:

Nicole Tucker said...

hahahahaha what a great explanation of the night, you make me sound like the best and worst person in the world. hahaha it was all just so funny!
wyatt, you're the best.